Electricity has become an indispensable part of our life, being an invisible form of power energy. electrical risks during the operation and maintenance of electrical system are to be managed effectively.
In process industries, fires of electrical origin are very probable, especially while handling flammable chemicals, short circuits, which can happen due to basic human error. In industries as well as large facilities electrical Safety Audit can prevent damage to expensive communication equipment, loss of data, fire in cable gallery, etc.) could be substantial. We help you to Identifying potential electrical hazards to prevent or minimize loss of life and property is best perceived through Electrical Safety Audit.
Identified potential electrical hazards during the audit when instantly eliminated or reduced would ensure human and plant safety of human and plant equipment and building. Electrical Safety Audit is important for Electrical Risk Management in Chemical plant, Refinery, Fertilizers, and Power plants.
Every installation is required to adopt proper safety measures which can avoid or restrict a number of accidents through Electrical Safety Audit. The electrical safety audit is adopted to effectively establish a sound Safety system in the plant.
A well-conducted electrical safety audit report will assist management in formulating Emergency Preparedness Plan.
Electrical Safety Audit is carried out due to various reasons such as:
- Statutory requirement (environmental concerns, Risk Analysis for hazardous industries, etc.)
- Requirement of the financial institution (for loans, etc.)
- Suggestion of regulatory authorities
- Process change/plant capacity addition
- Genuine management concern as a measure of improvement
- Major accident in the plant / major accident in the neighbouring industry / major accident in a similar industry
Identifying potential electrical hazards to prevent or minimize loss of life and property is best perceived through Electrical Safety Audit.
A well-planned Electrical Safety Audit would provide the following benefits:
- Identification of flaws in the existing safety system.
- Identification and elimination of safety hazards
- Improvement of management awareness of problems
- Enhancement of employee/employer relations
- Premature failures are effectively minimized.
- Unexpected outages can be minimized ensuring continues power supply to the end user.
- Assisting in the management of Electrical risk
Electrical Safety Audit Types:
Electrical Safety audit generally falls into the following three main types:
- Statutory Audit.
- Human Safety Audit
- Equipment Safety Audit.
It involves a review of the statutory documents for compliance such as:
- Govt. Electrical Inspection report
- Earth resistance test report of individual earth pit earthing grid network and lightning arrestors.
- Statutory clearance for installation of equipment
- Compliance of electrical system with Indian Electricity rules acts and TAC recommendations
- Insulation Resistance of electrical installation
- Transformer oil test report
- H.T. circuit breaker test report
- Protection relay test report
- Preventive Maintenance reports
List of Authorized Persons to work on electricity
- Details of the Licensed electrical contractors engaged.
- Electrical Single Line diagrams with Nameplate details of electrical equipment
- Staff training in Electrical Safety & First Aid report
- Electrical Accident report
- Safe operating procedures & Work Instructions
- Hazardous Area classification report, if applicable.
Human Safety Audit: It involves:
- Provision of Earthing of Electrical Equipment
- Earth leakage protection devices (ELCBs)
- Lightning protection system and equipment
- The grounding of electrical equipment as a source
- Firefighting and Fire alarm system
- Protective guards for all rotating equipment
- Illumination level in various working areas as per standard.
Equipment Safety Audit: It involves:
- Schedule of maintenance and calibration of overcurrent, earth fault, overload and other protection relays
- Insulation Resistance measurement of electrical equipment
- Critical spares inventory
- Schedule of measurement of hot spots in switchyard connection, bus-bar joints, and equipment connected with nonlinear loads.
- Control system voltage measurement, battery, battery chargers, and associated sensing devices
- The maintenance schedule of electrical equipment
- Alarm annunciation system.